Portland Rural School Cross Country (previously held at Waiotira)
Portland School is really looking forward to hosting the 2020 Portland Rural School Cross Country event for the first time. To successfully manage and communicate the safety aspects of this new event to all schools and parent spectators; please pass this onto your teachers and parent community. This event is in a farm paddock, which is muddy, has animal pugging and is on a hill. The children will get muddy and possibly wet, so please provide a plastic bag and change of clothes. Warm clothes and a rain coat will be really important.
Date: Thursday 13th August. (Post Postponement 18th August)
9:30am depart Otaika Valley School by bus
Event Location (new)
– Tikorangi Rd, which is about 1 km past the Portland School
– Parking wardens will be on both entries to Tikorangi Road – please respect their instructions for the safety of the children
– A map is provided highlighting parking areas
– No cars to enter the ‘no parking area’ on Tikorangi (a loop road) – marked in red
– Limited parking is available on the top end of Tikorangi Rd – please note no driving through the no parking area
– Buses to enter from the bottom end of Tikorangi Road to park below the hall on the road
– Car parking shown in yellow – on Railway Road, and also the bottom end of Tikorangi Road
- Spectator viewing is marked in green. Most of the perimeter is a footpath on the outside of the fence (bring a deck chair)
- No spectators on the course at any time
- Please access the school gazebo areas through the top gate
- The entire track is visible from most areas with the start and finish line in the middle
- If possible car pool to minimise the traffic movements up Portland Road and at the event
- 4 port-a-loos are available on trailers closest to the start line and school shelter areas. Please note teachers will be taking children to the toilets, which are set up on the closed off road. No vehicle access during the event.
- Junior students will need more support accessing the toilets.
- Sausages sizzle, soup, baking and soft drinks will be available for purchase on the day
- No drinking water on site – please bring your own
We look forward to hosting this event
Principal Portland School
Please see parking / spectator map attached
Please fill in the permission form sent out by email to help us co-ordinate buses. We look forward to supporting a local school running this event for the first time. This farm paddock is in the true nature of rural cross countries and will challenge the runners. Y4 (8yr olds) up to Y6 may get chosen from this event to represent our school at the Whangarei Interschool Cross Country at Barge Park. This event has hills in it, therefore the Portland event will be a good measure of our athletes.
Reading Information Workshop
Ag Day Animals are turning up to school
Lady arrived this week at school with Jack. His little goat has enjoyed the company of April (Taylor’s) and Sprite (Isaac’s) Lambs in our temporary lamb fence. Thank you to these families for filling in the registration form and agreement to follow school animal health procedures. I gave Lady her first 5-IN-1 CLOSTRIDIAL VACCINE MULTINE, which provides protection against the 5 key clostridial diseases in sheep, goats and cattle.