Welcome Back to Term 1, 2023

Kia ora Otaika Valley School caregivers and whanau,

It is my privilege to welcome everybody back to the 2023 school year, and to extend an especially warm welcome to all new tamariki and their whanau who start their learning journey with us this term.  I trust you have all had time to recharge those batteries and spend some valuable time with whanau and friends.

I would also take this opportunity to welcome new staff on board for this year. We welcome back Frances Cowan, who returns after maternity leave and who will be teaching in Room 7.

We also welcome Whaea Heidi (Kappely), who comes to us with a wealth of Environmental Education expertise and will be our new teacher in Room 2  (year 1-2). 

In addition we welcome Whaea Pam (Ngawaka) who will be with us one day per week, taking waiata, te reo and performance across all classes.  Whaea Pam will also be establishing a kapa haka group on Wednesday afternoons.

Term 1 is always a busy term and our start to 2023 promises to be no different with swimming and camps featuring strongly. We will also be exploring our learning across the school through the context of ‘Turangawaewae – the place where we stand.’ This will include ‘Ko wai au ? Who am I ?’  and flow into Term 2 where we look at ‘where we have come from’, explore our migration and learn about the diverse histories and experiences of the peoples of Aotearoa New Zealand.

In the ongoing tradition of Otaika Valley School we welcome you to be an active part of our Kura and you will find me at the gate each morning and afternoon. Please introduce yourselves…I have a lot of names to learn!

Ngā mihi

Rick Sayer

Principal

By |2023-02-02T16:29:13+00:0027th January 2023|Newsletters, Updates - Email|Comments Off on Welcome Back to Term 1, 2023

About the Author: