Term 1, Week 8

Kia ora koutou,

22 March 2021

Contents

• middle school camp
  • tsunami plan updated
  • senior camp this week

Middle School Camp

Last week I wrote about my firm beliefs in the high value of camps for children.  Well again I wasn’t disappointed with Room 4 & 5’s camp to Moirs Point.  The excitement for children to be sleeping in bunk rooms was high.  Some student even asked to go have a lie-down during free time, so they could spend time in their rooms.  The children had lots of small challenges and they were different for individuals.

• The massive water slide, which was quite steep at the beginning and finished with a splash
  • The burma-trail with blindfolded students being lead by a buddy through the bush
  • The obstacle course with balance challenges – multiple hanging tires, stepping from post top to post top with buddies supporting for balance, a wall climb with tricky balance at the top etc.
  • canoes – getting into a sit in canoe without tipping out, then climbing between 5 canoes, push races with canoes, and maybe the odd sinking in shallow water – lots of children got out of their comfort zone and were quite safe
  • back spinning hula hoops and lots of forgotten tricks
  • Lovely food
  • Awesome parent support volunteers who were wonderful with the children

Well done Courtney and Hayley for completing the vast amount of paper work and safety planning to make this camp safe and enjoyable.

Thank you to our wonderful parents.

I came back with a smile on my face, when I thought about the many little stories of success that I witnessed on camp and I am sure many other parents and the teachers did as well.

Tsunami Plan Update

We were very happy with our response to the live Tsunami warning and were well planned to get out of the school to high ground.  What we found throughout that first day was very similar to many organisations.  What do you do when evacuated for longer periods in the exposed elements on a hill?  What do you need to stay there safely?  As a staff we reviewed our response and learnings and took our recommendations to the Board of Trustees.  We discussed the civil defence – Tsunami Evacuation Zone maps – worst case scenario and water levels for the school.  Room 1 & 2 deck is 5.5m above this worst case map and the first paddock above the top school carpark is 11m above.  We didn’t know these levels on the day like many others.  With these heights in mind check out the updated Tsunami Plan if you are interested.

Tsunami plan updated

Senior Camp this week

Room 6 and 7 are off to camp tomorrow.  I will be attending from Tuesday to Friday, therefore it will be harder to contact me during this time.  If you have urgent matters please contact the office.  Maggie McClune will be keeping an eye the school while I am away.

Kind regards

Terry

By |2021-03-22T16:21:06+00:0022nd March 2021|Newsletters, Updates - Email, Updates - Home Page|Comments Off on Term 1, Week 8

About the Author: