21 October 2022
Kia ora koutou
As principal of Otaika Valley School, I have always valued Ag and Flower Show for the benefits that it brings to children. Not all children have the privilege to be around farm animals, therefore having lambs at school for about 12 weeks is a fantastic opportunity for all children. In particular, the children who raise animals learn valuable lessons about being caring, responsible and nurturing. It is hard work as well, which doesn’t hurt anyone.
Ag and Flower day is also about the children persevering with their classroom exhibits. The children have been working hard to prepare from about week 8 last term. Please make time to come and view each classes creations. Parents/grandparents/friends are all welcome to be involved.
There are a number of fun rural focussed activities and yummy food available.
PLEASE NOTE: No SCHOOL LUNCHES on Friday’s Ag day, as this is a special occasion and fundraising event for the PTA to support all children. Please pack a lunch for them if you do not wish to purchase the school Ag & Flower Show Day food available.
- Ag and Flower Show
- Cake Bake of Competition
- Rural School Athletics – Maungakaramea – Permission form
Ag and Flower Show
Thursday – 27th October – Ag Prep day
- Children finish off a number of exhibits
- Teachers judge each other’s class – award certificates for display on Friday – a big job
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd & highly commended
Ag and Flower Day 28th October
Ag Animal vehicles only are able to park on the field if fields are dry – calves normally kept at vehicle – keep seperate – refer map for parking areas
Keep track clear for Quad bikes.
Lambs and goats to be penned behind the library.
Children will need a change of clothes/togs and a towel and hat.
$$$ please bring small cash $1, $2 coins, $5, $10, to help the PTA manage their float
The PTA have put out a hard copy of information and food prices.
The PTA have asked for volunteers for the day – this is your chance to give back and support this wonderful group of parents
9am – Roll call in class
9:07 – Classroom Flower Show Exhibit viewing for students – teachers take own class on a school clockwise classroom walk thru
– classes open for parents
9:15 – students with animals meet at the pens
9:30 – Animal judging starts
9:45 – Whole school sits down around the judging pens to watch the animal judging – 30 to 40 mins
- lambs – leading/calling/rearing – ribbons awarded
- goats – leading/calling/obstacle course show off
- champion ring for overall champion / reserve and cups
- When champion round finished – children take animals to vehicles or return to school pen
- Trophies awarded at the end of the day
10:00 food tent starts for adults
10:30 to 10:45 food for children
11:00 – some activities can start – not quad bikes
11:15 – judging finished
Games start once judging finished (Teachers to run these)
Children have participation cards to get ticked off – there will be a draw at end for small treats
Teachers to run the following activities
- Quad bike/trailer rides
- Sponge throwing at faces
- Hoop throwing to pigtail standards
- Horse Shoe Throw
- Gumboot throw
- Year level / Gender prizes for farthest throw – mark with a standard – write name on laminated card with vivid (like furthest golf drive)
- Sponge Races
- Teams of children race to fill a bucket with a sponge
- Egg and spoon races – spoons and tennis balls
- Water slide – children must have a change of clothes (12:30ish so children don’t get cold)
1 to 1:30 depending on how things are going – round up activities
– Ag Animal trophies awarded
– Participation activity drawn for moro bars minis
– Kiwi- bake off competition Award – Wooden Spoon Trophy – prize 5kg flour
– Cake auction of competition cakes – eftpos available at school office to pay for cake
Thank you and tidy up
BAKE OFF TROPHY UP FOR GRABS – never won by Mr Brock – maybe this year
Rural School Athletics – Friday 11th November
Our annual athletics day will be held at Maungakaramea School.
Please keep the date free and fill in the permission form by clicking on this link https://bit.ly/3eCY6Wp